Newport College of Art was one of the first colleges in the country to be allowed to award the new degree equivalent qualification introduced to replace the NDD - Diploma of Art and Design in 1963. When the Diploma was itself replaced in 1973 the College was approved to offer honours degrees in Fine Art and Graphic Design.
The Monmouthshire Training College, better known as Caerleon College, opened in October 1914.
The College became co-educational in 1962 and the admission of women contributed to its very rapid expansion during the 1960s, from 140 to 750 students.
Expansion was easily accommodated on a large and imposing site (currently 32 acres) standing above the Roman town of Caerleon, which permitted major building and ensured the future of the College as a leading provider of trained teachers in Wales.
In 1975, the Gwent College of Higher Education was formed as a result of the merger of the Caerleon College of Education (the former Monmouthshire Training College), Newport College of Art and Design and Gwent College of Technology.