Name : John Burgan
Job Title : Senior Lecturer / Programme Leader
Email Address : email@example.com
Contact Telephone Number : 01633 43 5370
Academic Faculty and School or Department : Documentary Film & TV, Newport Film School
Research Centre or Group : Documentary Film Research Group
Biography : Born in London in 1962, John grew up in East Yorkshire
and started his career as a picture editor at the BBC. After film school he
lived in Berlin, Germany between 1992-2006 working as a freelance writer,
director and editor as well as five years teaching filmmaking at the University of the Arts. As well as workshops in Istanbul and Hamburg, John ran the documentary course at the European Film College in Denmark for two years before returning to the UK in 2008. He is currently developing creative projects and collaborations with China and Denmark.
Academic and Professional Qualifications :
- National Film & Television School, Beaconsfield (1992) MA/MFA equivalent
- BA (Hons) English Language & Literature, University of Newcastle upon Tyne (1984)
- 2010 – 2011 SKILLSET ACADEMI + Development Programme
Leadership for Creative Business Workshop Series
- 2010 SKILLSET ACADEMI + Development Programme
Film Junction Producer Workshop Series
- 2008 SOURCES 2 Advanced Training Programme (Malmö, Sweden)Training Mentors for Documentary Filmmakers Workshop
- 2007 National Film School of Denmark (Copenhagen, Denmark)Negotiating Production Deals Workshop
- 1994 – 2006 European Film Academy (Berlin, Germany)
Various workshops on creative practice & media business
- 1992 – 1993 Nipkow Programme (Berlin, Germany)
12 month Fellowship for Audio-Visual Professionals (MEDIA)
- Professional Bodies and Memberships :
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- National Executive, NAHEMI (National Association for Higher Education in the Moving Image)
- Newport Film School representative at CILECT (Centre International de Liaison des Ecoles de Cinéma et de Télévision / International Association of Film and Television Schools).
Articles/books as author / translator
- Selected commentary from Memory of Berlin published in "Grand Street/Berlin", quarterly magazine dedicated to art, poetry, short stories and non-fiction (New York: Grand Street, 1999).
- 'Robert Vas', 'Jean-Pierre Gorin' and 'The Back of Beyond', entries in the "Encyclopaedia of the Documentary Film" ed. Ian Aitken. (New York and London: Routledge, 2006)
- “Making choices: some thoughts on documentary and fiction” in “Final Cut” Yearbook of the European Film College (2007)
- As translator (from German to English): "Dreams this Side of the Real," in “Gottfried Salzmann” by Nikolaus Schaffer (Paris, Thalia Edition, 2006).
- Public Engagement Activities and Esteem Indicators :