Name : Dr Paul Cabuts
Job Title : Academic Subject Leader: Photography
Email : email@example.com
Contact Telephone Number : 01633 432175
Academic Faculty and School or Department : Faculty of Arts and Business - School of Film, Photography and Digital Media
Research Centre or Group : European Centre for Photographic Research
- Biography : Initially working as an independent freelance photographer, Paul Cabuts’ career shifted toward education and the contemporary visual arts. Cabuts’ photographic work been exhibited at venues in the UK and beyond including the Australian Centre for Photography, Germany’s Treffpunkt Stuttgart and the UK’s Exposure Festival of Photography at Hereford. The Welsh dimension to Cabuts’ work has contributed to its visibility within Wales in exhibitions at a number of venues including Ffotogallery, the National Eisteddfod and the National Assembly for Wales.
- Academic and Professional Qualifications :
- PhD Photography (University of Wales, Newport, UK)
- MA Fine Art (Aberystwyth University)
- BA (Hons) Documentary Photography (University of Wales, Newport).
- Professional Bodies and Memberships :
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of Ffotogallery, Wales and former Chair of its Board of Management.
- Research Expertise or Interest : Living in south Wales, Paul Cabuts works in the evolving field of documentary photography with a practice that is grounded in the Valleys of the region. The colourful, typological nature of his work celebrates contemporary manifestations of the culturally less dominant histories of the region, and explores notions of identity and place. His research has focused on the development of the photographic arts in Wales since the mid-twentieth century.
- Grants Awarded : A recipient of a Creative Wales Award from the Arts Council of Wales, Cabuts has been commissioned to work on numerous photography projects including the BBC’s BAFTA Cymru Award winning Capture Wales project. His photographs are held in a number of public collections including those at the National Library of Wales, Ffotogallery and the Groundwork Trust.
Publications : Paul Cabuts’ photographic work and writing has been published in catalogues, journals and other publications including Source, Blown, New Welsh Review, Taliesin and Planet and has featured on television both inside and outside Wales. The University of Wales Press published his book 'Creative Photography and Wales' in 2012'.